Skip to main content
Campus Resources
Trans 2022 Banner

Name & Gender Marker Change

Through your MyCharlotte account, you can add and/or update your personal information including preferred first name, gender identification, pronouns, and more. For more information on how to do so, please view the Niner Central webpage

If you are curious on where preferred first name shows up in campus systems please visit the Office of the Registrar for updates. 

Updating your preferred first name and gender identification in your MyCharlotte account is not the same as updating your legal name or legal gender marker. For those looking to update their legal name and/or legal gender marker they must submit a Demographic Change Request (documentation required). 

Students have the option to not be listed in the directory by completing the Disclosure of Directory Information Form.

The Office of the Registrar handles all name changes for the University.

UNC Charlotte does allow students to change their name for the following reasons accompanied by the appropriate documentation:


Copy of marriage certificate or signed security card.


Copy of divorce decree stating you may resume the use of your maiden name or name confirmed by court or signed social scurity card.

Legal Name

Name change document confirmed by the court or signed social security card.


Driver's License or signed social security card.

If you are looking for a way to communicate your chosen or preferred first name to faculty below are some templates that may help. It is best to contact your professors PRIOR to the beginning of the semester to inform them of your wishes. Below are two drafts of letters students have used here at UNC Charlotte to inform their professors.  The first is just a generic document asking the professor to use a preferred name and the second includes additional information about trans resources.

Preferred Name Draft

Preferred Name with Trans Resources Draft