The Intersex Society of North America (ISNA) is devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
We have learned from listening to individuals and families dealing with intersex that:
- Intersexuality is primarily a problem of stigma and trauma, not gender
- Parents’ distress must not be treated by surgery on the child
- Professional mental health care is essential
- Honest, complete disclosure is good medicine
- All children should be assigned as boy or girl, without early surgery
Learn more at Intersex Society of North America.